List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Tab switching shortcuts [Re: Some questions regarding development
From:       "Ellis Whitehead" <kde.07 () ellisw ! net>
Date:       2007-01-20 19:10:35

On 1/18/07, Andras Mantia <amantia@kde.org> wrote:
> On Wed Jan 17 2007, Mike Williams wrote:
> > I would really like to see it working in konqueror, and the
> > applications that i do use with it (yakuake, kdevelop, quanta, etc.)
> > have inconsistent schemes.
>
> kdevelop and quanta have common shortcuts (Alt-arrows). Konsole doesn't
> have it, because Alt-arrows have other meaning in shells (jump through
> words). Konsole uses Shift-Arrows. Shift-arrows is not possible in any
> app using an editor, because it is a common shortcut for selecting
> text.
> Konqueror uses Ctrl-[ and Ctrl-] because Alt-arrows are used for
> navigating in the history and shift-arrows for auto scrolling the page.
> Now go and try to solve this and provide a common shortcut. ;-)
> A solution would be to pick a very uncommon shortcut like Konqueror's
> CTRL-[ and CTRL-] and use it for all applications, while provide more
> sane alternate shortcuts like Alt-arrows, Shift-arrows where possible.

So what about giving serious thought to consistent shortcuts among KDE
applications for switching between a) documents and b) panes in both
c) linear order and d) stack order?

A Microsoft Windows style Ctrl+Tab could be part of the solution.  The
fact that we still bind Ctrl+Tab to desktop switching really bewilders
me, considering that it just sucks not being able to switch between
documents in last-used order.  I'm obviously not the only one it
annoys, seeing that Firefox overrides Ctrl+Tab on my gentoo system,
and my kubuntu edgy system has Ctrl+Tab off by default.  Of course,
this is a different functionality than moving linearly through a tab
list, and of course having Ctrl+Tab bound to desktop switching doesn't
prevent us from implementing stack-order document switching, but I'm
sure it's a part of the reason we don't have it yet.

My biggest aggravation when working with kate/kdevelop is that when I
switch to a new file to quickly reference something, it often takes a
many seconds to figure out which file I had been in just a moment
before and navigate back there.  That's a ridiculous disruption of
workflow.

Linear tab list navigation is also important.  Consistent
pane/dockwidget navigation would also be a relief.

To repeat myself: So what about giving serious thought to consistent
shortcuts among KDE applications for switching between a) documents
and b) panes in both c) linear order and d) stack order?

Cheers,
Ellis