List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Some questions regarding development for KDE3
From:       Kåre_Särs <kare.sars () kolumbus ! fi>
Date:       2007-01-18 7:50:32

On Thursday 18 January 2007 00:40, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
> On 1/17/07, Andreas Pakulat <apaku@gmx.de> wrote:
> > FACK.
> >
> > Especially emacs indenter can't read my mind at all. I tried to hack on
> > kde files last year with emacs and it couldn't cope at all with the
> > existing indentation. Of course this might have been just me not
> > configuring something, but it shouldn't keep people to do what they want.
> > already get that attitude from the few GTK apps I have to use.
>
> Then it's here we disagree... :-)
> I've been programming in emacs for years before trying KDevelop and I
> love its indentation. This is why I'm somewhat missing the 'emacs
> indentation' mode in KDevelop (or Kate).
>
> > Andreas

I don't see the problem here.

If you want to have a line automatically indented in Kate use Tools->Align
if you want to manually correct indentation use  Tools->Indent/Unindent

Align does not have a shortcut by default but I have added Alt+a to align. So
if I want to auto indent the whole file I do Ctrl+a and Alt+a

In the indentation settings you can choose tabs or spaces for indentation and
even Emacs style mixed mode.

The auto indenter is not perfect tho. Sometimes you can get weird
indentations(I know I should file bug reports). I think I read somewhere that
somebody is thinking about reworking the auto indenter for Kate to use some
sort of config-file/plug-in to control indentation behavior, but I'm not
sure.

/Kåre