List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Some questions regarding development for KDE3
From:       "Parker Coates" <pcoates3 () uwo ! ca>
Date:       2007-01-18 2:02:12

On 1/17/07, Ian Wadham <ianw2@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 08:59 am, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
> > Why would you want it to indent more than it is supposed to?
> >
> I like to indent further on the continuation lines of a long statement
> or to add an additional right-hand-side comment to a statement.
> Code is more readable imho if, for example, long parameter
> expressions and continuations of long strings are indented under
> each other --- and isn't readability the objective of indentation?

Well, according to Njaard, you should be using spaces for all "extra"
indentation, not tabs.

http://www.derkarl.org/why_to_tabs.html

I do, however, agree that an editor shouldn't force the user to use
any particular indentation style. I see no problem having it as an
option, but it strikes me as a very unintuitive default setting.

Parker