List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Ksysguard is useless!
From:       "John Tapsell" <johnflux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-01-03 12:06:03

Hey all,

  ksysguard, top and so on gives totally useless values for memory
usage, double so for kde4.  I have been moaning/complaining to anyone
who would listen about how much memory ksysguard uses.  However this
was based on bad information.

  Here's my quick analysis for the actual ksysguard process.  I hope
this will be useful to anyone else wanting to understand the memory
usage of a kde4 app as I think ksysguard is fairly typical.

  * The virtual memory usage is about 120MB.  This number means nothing at all.
  * The RSS memory usage is about 22MB (or 26MB after viewing the graphs).
  * It uses about 5MB of video card memory.  (For comparision, kde3
kicker uses about 2MB but something like konqueror will use about 2MB
per tab)

The above 3 are what ksysguard itself reports (as does top etc)

  * The actual unique amount of memory allocated by ksysguard is 6MB
(or 10MB after viewing the graphs). Of this, about 5MB (9MB) is for
the malloc'ed data.
  * 15MB is used for shared libraries and thus only allocated once for
all kde4 apps.

This is with debug versions of kde and Qt.

JohnFlux