Hey all, ksysguard, top and so on gives totally useless values for memory usage, double so for kde4. I have been moaning/complaining to anyone who would listen about how much memory ksysguard uses. However this was based on bad information. Here's my quick analysis for the actual ksysguard process. I hope this will be useful to anyone else wanting to understand the memory usage of a kde4 app as I think ksysguard is fairly typical. * The virtual memory usage is about 120MB. This number means nothing at all. * The RSS memory usage is about 22MB (or 26MB after viewing the graphs). * It uses about 5MB of video card memory. (For comparision, kde3 kicker uses about 2MB but something like konqueror will use about 2MB per tab) The above 3 are what ksysguard itself reports (as does top etc) * The actual unique amount of memory allocated by ksysguard is 6MB (or 10MB after viewing the graphs). Of this, about 5MB (9MB) is for the malloc'ed data. * 15MB is used for shared libraries and thus only allocated once for all kde4 apps. This is with debug versions of kde and Qt. JohnFlux >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<