List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: a desktop wide "presence state" handling
From:       Anarky <anarky () ifrance ! com>
Date:       2006-12-20 21:02:14

First, thanks a lot for your answer.

John Tapsell wrote :
>   The way I see it though is there should just be 2 dbus signals in
> kdestop (or something) which emit signals for when the user is away,
> and when they are back.

Didn't even know there was already something to see if the user is away or not
in KDE itself.
Do you know where it's used (screensaver, ...) ?

As I see it, your suggestion is a first step, but I'd like to go beyond.

Actually, every app that is interested in the presence of the user handle it
with its own code because just knowing that the user is here or not isn't
enough in most of the case.
Kopete, for example, has a lot of states between "away" and "here".
I'd like to make it possible for them to use a centralized place.

An interesting use case would be to auto set me as "occupied" when watching a
movie.
This can't be done with just 2 dbus signals I think.

Julien