List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Idea]Context Sensitive file dialog
From:       Alessandro Pignotti <alex.pigna () inventati ! org>
Date:       2006-10-01 12:22:02

Frank Osterfeld ha scritto:
> On Saturday 30 September 2006 15:41, Nikhil Marathe wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>> I have a idea for a context-sensitive file dialog for KDE. I don't know if
>> anyone has had this before. Basically when a user downloads or saves a file
>> the KIO system can analyse the file metadata to decide what should be the
>> default location to specify in the save dialog. For example for
>> mp3/ogg/other audio files it could be ~/Music, for OO.o/KOffice files
>> ~/Documents and stuff like that. And of course the user could set his own
>> custom directories from the control center.
>> What do you think?
>
> In general, it would be cool to save time spent navigating through folder
> hierarchies by suggesting the "right folder" to the user. However, to get
> it "right" is very hard. Mimetype-based folders might work in certain cases
> like with music files, but in many other cases it won't. For me personally it
> wouldn't make much sense. mimetypes of files are mostly orthogonal to the
> categories I use to archive them.
> Other advanced ideas would be to play with text similarity and the like (and
> Mandriva's Nepomuk integration will probably also experiment with using
> metadata for classifiying items) to find the right folder for a file.
> However, this all is highly experimental and should be well tested until
> turned on by default (and before being tested, it must be implemented :P ).
>
> Also I think the interface should only _suggest_ folders (e.g. in a list), not
> entering dirs without interaction. If the system unpredictably jumps between
> folders without asking it becomes really annoying.
>
> I propose to add some relatively generic interface for such suggestions so
> that interested developers can plug in and test their approaches. Do you want
> to work on a context-sensitive file dialog yourself?
> I am CCing Sebastian from Nepomuk, maybe this integration is already on his
> agenda.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frank

The Tenor framework could be used for this, it could find files similar
to the one that it's has been download and suggest folder. But to
analyze the file we need to have it already on disk, so maybe we have to
change the download behavior: first the file is fully download in a tmp
folder and then we present the user a range of possible directories and
a browse dialog.