List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Idea]Context Sensitive file dialog
From:       "Alex Zepeda" <alex.zepeda () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-09-30 21:56:08

On 9/30/06, Parker Coates <parker.coates@gmail.com> wrote:

> While this is an interesting idea, I think it would be just as likely
> to get in the user's way as help them out. For example in you proposed
> system, say I have configured ~/documents as my default download
> location for PDFs. Now imagine I want to consecutively download three
> homework assignments (in PDF format) to my ~/school/course101
> directory. Each time, the dialogue will start in ~/documents and I
> will have to find ~/school/course101 myself.

So make it configurable based on the mimetype, filename, and other
metadata.  Tag a file (and PDFs do support somewhat arbitrary
metadata) with course 'foo' and it'll go to ~/school/coursefoo by
default.

IMO I'd much rather have such a system enter a directory by default
than pop up a dialog box every time.  Having some other widget in the
dialog box to suggest a directory would take up too much screen real
estate.  What about entering a suggested directory by default, and the
first time a suggestion is made, asking the user if they want to keep
doing this, with options to disable for every file type or only 'this'
file type?

--
alex