List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Introducing into KDE programming
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-09-26 19:20:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 26 September 2006 22:11, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> Yes, but my objective is to develop some day  into the SVN code. Ok,
> I can download now that code (3.5.4), but how do people in KDE work
> with SVN? What do they download and what do they compile to run and
> see if it works as expected?

This highly depends on the developer. I have a full KDE checkout at home
and update from time to time from KDE 3.5 branch, compile (with
kdesvn-build from kdesdk) and install it in a different directory
compared to my distro supplied KDE (e.g /opt/kde-35 instead
of /opt/kde3). If at any time I want to change any part of the KDE
code, I change it and commit it to the svn. But if you work only on one
small part of the code it is possible to check out only that one and
either:
- install it over your distribution's version
- install it in its own directory and set up KDEDIRS to point first to
this directory and later to the distro's directory (eg. export
KDEDIRS=/opt/kde-35:/opt/kde3) and run the application (by giving the
full path to it, or adding /opt/kde-35/bin to the beginning of the
path) from the shell where you exported this variable. This way in
theory your version of the application should run and use the data
files from the new directory. If the app is using shared libraries, you
may need to use something like export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/kde-35/lib:
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH as well.

If you ask me, I would recommend the first version or installing over
the distro's version, if you are the only user of the machine. You can
anytime reinstall it from the distro supplied package if something is
really broken.
Andras