List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Undefined macro when compiling aRts
From:       Johnathan <johnathan () orcon ! net ! nz>
Date:       2006-09-23 10:23:47

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 22:00:17 +1200, <kde-devel-request@kde.org> wrote:

> Are you sure that older versions of those aren't being found? Check with
> autoconf --version
> and autoheader --version.
> Also, did you try rm -rf autom4te.cache (if I remember the name of that
> generated dir correctly)?

Thanks for the reply David, no luck I'm afraid.

To get make to work, I had to install & set up environment variables for
autoconf, autoheader, unsermake myself based upon ./admin/cvs.sh so the
versions were correct (2.59 for autoconf & autoheader, 0.4 for unsermake).

Tried removing autom4te.cache also, to no avail, still the same set of
error messages when trying to compile aRts with "make -f Makefile.cvs":

======================================
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/johnathan/source/KDE/arts'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `acinclude.m4'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/johnathan/source/KDE/arts'
*** Creating list of subdirectories
*** Creating Makefile.am
*** Creating configure.files
*** Creating configure.in
*** Creating aclocal.m4
*** Creating configure
configure.in:1: error: possibly undefined macro: dnl
       See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.in:28: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.in:33: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONFIG_HEADER
configure.in:36: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_COMPILERS
configure.in:37: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBLTDL_CONVENIENCE
configure.in:39: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_ENABLE_SHARED
configure.in:40: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_ENABLE_STATIC
configure.in:70: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_BASE_PATH_KDE
configure.in:75: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL
configure.in:94: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_BOOL
configure.in:100: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_USLEEP
configure.in:101: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_SETENV
configure.in:102: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_GETHOSTNAME
configure.in:103: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_RANDOM
configure.in:104: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_S_ISSOCK
configure.in:105: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_SOCKLEN_T
configure.in:148: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DEFINE
configure.in:577: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_GETDOMAINNAME
make[1]: *** [cvs] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
======================================

The issues is I don't know what these things mean, and haven't been able
to find anything on the error message at all <sigh>.

I've been at this for quite a number of days now, and is suspecting that
it might be an environment variable or something which hasn't been set (in
fact the only ones that I had set were:
export AUTOCONF=autoconf
export AUTOHEADER=autoheader
export AUTOMAKE=unsermake