List:       kde-devel
Subject:    c++ keyword __thread
From:       Benoît_Jacob <jacob () math ! jussieu ! fr>
Date:       2006-08-25 10:56:53

Hi,

For Eigen, I've written a thread-safe buffer manager:

http://websvn.kde.org/*checkout*/trunk/kdesupport/eigen/buffermanager.h?content-type=text%2Fplain&rev=576962

Now I've just found out that there is a new c++ keyword, __thread, that seems
to do thread-local storage, which is almost the same thing as my buffer
manager.

I'd like to know if I should use this keyword instead of my own code:
 - is it standard enough?
 - what is the standard practice in KDE?
 - if I should use that keyword, should I make a #define to be portable to
compilers where __thread has got a different name (like MSVC) ?
 - won't someone drop a tear on my useless effort?

Benoit