List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror has 1305 unconfirmed bugs
From:       Dirk Stoecker <kde () dstoecker ! de>
Date:       2006-08-23 21:06:51

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Robin Atwood wrote:

> > At the moment I have the destination to get 13 more bugs fixed.
> > https://bugs.kde.org/weekly-bug-summary.cgi shows 43 new bugs for last 7
> > days and 30 closed ones (was much lower before I started). I want at least
> > that more bugs are closed than opened.
>
> I opened a bug in March 2004 that konqui did not work at http://tesco.com. More than two years
> have passed, the site has evolved, konqui has been updated, but you still cannot do any
> shopping!  (I worked around the problem by leaving the UK but I might want to go back someday...).
>
> Of course you have to register at the site to test it, but you can fill a shopping basket without
> actually buying anything.

Bug 77966? A good example for non-optimal bug reports (there are worser
ones, but your report qualifies as bad).

- The information included does not help a lot to understand what your
  problem is. You are missing some detailed information.
- A detailed step by step explanation is missing. An example session
  starting with opening the page till the error is missing.
- Is it really necessary to login? If yes, could you create an include a
  special test account? I myself would never do the steps involved to
  create an account only to verify "a problem of other people".
- There is no comment if you did some testing (e.g. different JavaScript
  settings, ...)

Debugging takes time. A lot of time. Most developers will not start
debugging bug reports were the minimal requirements from the reporter
have not been fulfilled. I myself have written bug reports, where I needed
3 days or in one case up to an week to make a report for a problem. A good
report sometimes means 5 minutes for fixing it. Bad reports sometimes mean
days for searching.

For your report: Without login I was able to get goods into my basket and
all seemed well. I would not spend more time on the report. It took me 10
minutes to find this information only to be sure, that either the bug
vanished or your description is incomplete.

Three examples for better reports I have seen last days:
113630 - very short, but the testcase shows everything, better would be to
         include the testcase as attachment.
111244 - Step by step guide to get the bug, short but to the point
132678 - as above

Ciao
--
http://www.dstoecker.de/ (PGP key available)