List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Not in the face! (Introducing myself)
From:       "Vivek Rai" <vivek.rai () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-08-16 22:42:42

> I understand what you say, I was just telling you that it is a lot more easier
> if you re-use code that already does some of the things you need instead of
> doing it all over again. You should seriuosly consider using the network
> backend of system-tools-backends for the network configuration part of your
> wizard, and if possible implement all the wvdial/DSL/cablemodem stuff you
> want as part of it so other apps can take advantage of it too :) also you
> should contact the Solid team and ask them which is the current state of the
> project so you can know if you can wait for them or not.

I will definitely look at using system-tools-backends  - thanks for
the suggestion.

I had a look at the solid project. Definitely sounds like the way
forward, but as with HAL itself, the trouble of using such tools under
development is that they keep changing, and arent available across
many old machines running distributions with some older version of
dependent stuff. (like I am struggling to run my app on a PCLinuxOS
partition as it uses an older version of hal :( )

> I'm sorry, I unsuscribed from the list for some months because of lack of time
> and just re-subscribed last week. I would have given my point of view before
> if I was subscribed at the moment you sent your RFC :(

Well your inputs have given me a lot of fresh things to look at! so
thanks.. and absolutely no need to apologize.. any design flaws that
netconfigwizard code may currently have is purely my responsiblity..
and i am keen to build something flexible and useful.

Cheers,
Vivek