List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Not in the face! (Introducing myself)
From:       Juan Luis Baptiste <juan.baptiste () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2006-08-16 21:05:31

Hi,

On Wednesday 16 August 2006 12:23, Vivek Rai wrote:
> Also KDE won't end up with two
>
> > tools to do the same thing.
>
> I dont think it is an either-or situation when it comes to tools for doing
> settings related to networking.
>
> Currently, we have different tools for doing these setup and the knowledge
> lies in the HOWTO documents. E.g. look at
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetHowto .. the user will further
> have to read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto or
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CableDialup or a series of other HOWTO
> pages based on his type of connection and hardware etc. We also have a
> confusing situation for the user in terms of tools he has to use.. for
> dialup use kppp, for pppoe, run pppoeconf from the command line.. for
> wireless, try iwconfig, kwifimanager.. etc etc.
>
> 1) For doing the setup for the first time, a SINGLE wizard like interface
> is probably easiest for the user. But we need to keep such wizards very
> simple, and just do the basic settings.

I understand what you say, I was just telling you that it is a lot more easier
if you re-use code that already does some of the things you need instead of
doing it all over again. You should seriuosly consider using the network
backend of system-tools-backends for the network configuration part of your
wizard, and if possible implement all the wvdial/DSL/cablemodem stuff you
want as part of it so other apps can take advantage of it too :) also you
should contact the Solid team and ask them which is the current state of the
project so you can know if you can wait for them or not.

> But, it is a bit late for me to change the code for it now. I really wish
> some of these suggestions had come up when I sent an initial RFC to this
> list a few months back, before I had started coding.

I'm sorry, I unsuscribed from the list for some months because of lack of time
and just re-subscribed last week. I would have given my point of view before
if I was subscribed at the moment you sent your RFC :(

Cheers,
--
Juan Luis Baptiste
ITAC S.A.