List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KIO and non KDE applications - various errors and
From:       Brad Hards <bradh () frogmouth ! net>
Date:       2006-07-31 10:42:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 31 July 2006 16:24, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> KDE claims to be network transparent, which is totally true for all (or at
> least most) KDE applications.
There are a number of applications that aren't network transparent.

> But many important non-KDE applications (gimp, OO obviously, Amarok less
> obviously, the user usually does not know about the xine engine behind) are
> embedded nicely in the KDE desktop, but lack full support of KIO.
I can accept that amarok might be more helpful, but how do you expect KDE to
modify the behaviour of the gimp or OpenOffice? They aren't KDE applications.
They don't use our file dialogs.

> IMHO KDE should handle this situation more gracefully by telling the user,
> that network transparency is not supported for this application instead of
> leaving it to the application to issue error messages like mentioned in
> comment 3 above or "file not existent....".
KDE can't do that. Only KDE applications can.

Brad