List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Additional "Focus" for Multi-Headed Machines
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2006-07-11 14:19:16

 Please fill wishes at bugs.kde.org.

> I would like to have an additional (pseudo-)focus for each head of a
> multihead machine.  In other words, on each head I'd like to have one
> application have the (pseudo-)focus such that if I switch the focus to that
> head, that application gets the focus.
>
> I know about the <alt><tab> shortcut, but the drawback of that is that I
> have to tab through all the applications that are open in the current
> desktop.
>
> I'd like to have a quick way to switch between heads and have a different
> application get the focus depending on which head has the "focus".
>
> (The followup is that I'd then what a keyboard shortcut to switch focus
> between heads.  I'm assuming that we don't have to choose that shortcut at
> this time because with the existing functionality we can choose any
> keyboard shortcut to invoke this "action" (switch focus between heads).)
>
> Does this seem useful to anyone besides myself?
>
> Is it something that can (should) be implemented in KDE, or can (should) it
> be done at the level of X?

 That's window manager (kwin) functionality. Before filling the wish at
bugs.kde.org you could first check if
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=40586 doesn't do what you
want.

> BTW, this functionality is in lieu of what I'd really like to have, a
> "focus follows intention" function, so that if I start typing something
> intended to go into nedit, it goes to nedit, but if I start typing
> something intended to go to konqueror, it goes there.  ;-)

 This is usually called "focus follows mind", actually :).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer