List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New application to KDE
From:       Thiago Silva <thiago.silva () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2006-07-10 22:06:19

On Monday 10 July 2006 18:06, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> On Monday 10 July 2006 19:44, Thiago Silva wrote:
> > Humm. KDevelop is too.......big.
>
> I disagree with "too big" ;) We have a platform which is "as small as
> currently possible". You could have used KDevelop platform and wrote
> even less code than you did ;)

Hehe. Fair, but writing more code to have a smaller application was precisely
what got me what I needed ;)

> > Protoeditor doesn't (and won't) strive to have code completion, project
> > management, control version inegration, etc, despite requestes for such
> > features. It suppose to be katepart + debug front end. I would think of
> > it as closer to kdbg than kdevelop.
>
> Having it KDevPlatform based would enable KDevelop and Quanta also use it
> and benefit from the great features you support.

Certainly would. Wich doesn't mean it won't ;). I would love to help!

I must say I'm not KDevelop resistent. I simply don't see both applications as
mutually exclusives (nor living in a redundant coexistence). KDevelop, as an
IDE, is feature rich. Despite been small (as pointed above), it feels
kindda...big...facing some tasks. But might be just me (and a few lunatics
that found Protoeditor useful precisely because of it's...simplicity).

So, it seems to me that it covers a very specific area, between editors and
IDE's. What do you think?

Thiago Silva