List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Benefits of arts
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2006-06-21 17:07:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 21 June 2006 18:37, Joaquín Fernández Quiles wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to know the benefits of arts. I have Gentoo with flag -arts
> (this compile kde apps without arts, i prefer to use alsa) because i have
> used Mandriva and Debian, and i have ever problem with arts, so i ask me
> why kde use arts? Amarok, sound server system and others apps abort during
> sound reproduction sometimes. If i develop an kde app, i must use arts?

If you are using ALSA and you have problems with aRts and other application's
you either do not have aRts configured to use ALSA, or your ALSA setup does
not allow more than one application to output sound.

Or in other words: if you configure aRts to use ALSA as its backend and have
an ALSA setup capable of mixing sound from more than one application, aRts
will be just another ALSA application,

If you are developing a KDE application, you don't have to use aRts, see
amarok for example.

However KDE 3 applications with only basic audio output needs usually use the
KDE sound API which uses aRts internally.

> kde4 will use the same arts, a "better arts" or other sound system?

The KDE 4 multimedia API is called Phonon and will allow you to configure
which backend should be used.

Cheers,
Kevin

--