List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: dbus-send to kde kioslaves
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2006-06-14 19:56:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 14 June 2006 21:46, Wilhelm Meier wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 14. Juni 2006 21:34 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> > Wilhelm Meier wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I'm experimenting with dbus and kde. Can anyone point to the correct
> > > message to send via dbus-send to let the kde kioslave mount-popup show
> > > up? Is there any documentation?
> >
> > As I replied on the dbus mailing list (where you asked too), KIOSlaves
> > don't use D-BUS or DCOP.
>
> thank you for your patience !
>
> > In fact, the popup isn't shown by any KIOSlave, but instead by kded. That
> > one uses DCOP, but there's no method to tell it to show the popup window.
> > It will do that when it thinks a new device has been plugged.
>
> Well, I don't know very much of the internals of kde, but I thought that
> the events propagate from kernel->udev->hal->dbus->kded (?) in the case, a
> new device is added (at least on my gentoo-box with hal/dbus enabled). So,
> it should be possible to send the same message via dbus-send (?).If not,
> please give me a hint (to some documentation).

I'd guess that hald emits DBUS signal on the system bus and the kded module
with HAL integration is connected to it.

Maybe the HAL website has documentation on which signals are emitted on media
detection, or check with dbus-monitor on the system bus while inserting a
storage medium/device

Cheers,
Kevin

--