List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KSysGuard renaming
From:       "Sean O'Brien" <me () seandiggity ! com>
Date:       2006-06-06 17:40:21

I have ksysguard in my KDE panel (along with gnome-system-monitor in my Gnome
panel, and the Windows Task Manager in my Windows taskbar).  If I want to
kill a process or see how hard my processor's working, these are useful.

I'd rather use kysysguard than top to view/kill a process.  That said,
ksysguard does need improvement.  I think gnome-system-monitor is much better
and more lightweight; I'm glad the ksysguard developers plan to go in a
similar direction.

As far as naming is concerned, Gnome's scheme is cleaner and easier to figure
out than KDE's (for its core apps).  Sometimes I do cringe after reading the
name of a KDE app because of the K prefix/suffix (who the hell wants to
type "amaroK instead of "amarok"?).  However, the "K" prefix/suffix seems to
be used more frequently by KDE developers than Gnome developers use a
prefix "G" or the word "gnome"; I can tell that Kid3 or Kbilliards, for
example, are written for KDE.

Why not stay consistent and call it "ksysmonitor" or "ksysmon", if the
word "guard" is a problem?