List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New (maybe) KDE app (KNutrients) -- Some questions on C++
From:       "Jason K" <fungmeista () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-05-30 19:11:41

> Have the guys over at KRecipes (http://krecipes.sourceforge.net/) done this or
> something similar?  Yep, thought so, see
> http://docs.kde.org/development/en/extragear-utils/krecipes/krecipes-components.html#ingredients-component
>  and
> http://docs.kde.org/development/en/extragear-utils/krecipes/krecipes-components.html#ingredient-properties
>
> .
>
> But hey, they may need some help, or you could still do it as a stand-alone
> program (desktop widget or applet perhaps?), not everyone may want a fully
> featured recipe manager. If you got the itch, scratch it,
> competing/complimenting programs only make the eco-system stronger :-)

Krecipes developer here... yeah, Krecipes can do basic loading of
nutrient information from the USDA's abbreviated database.  It'll give
users a list of all the ingredients in the database, and then the
nutrients can be loaded into an ingredient in our database.  It's
pretty basic and just reads directly from the USDA's ABBREV.txt file
every time it needs it.

Krecipes would definitely benefit a more fully-featured
implementation.  Perhaps code could be merged with Krecipes at some
point or we could cooperate to benefit us both?

Krecipes already uses a database to store the recipes, so that same
database could be used to store the USDA's database.

Cheers,
Jason Kivlighn