List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Running part of the code with superuser privileges
From:       Ingo Krabbe <ikrabbe.ask () web ! de>
Date:       2006-05-29 8:35:47

Am Montag, 29. Mai 2006 10:10 schrieb Iván Forcada Atienza:

> Well, setuid root is comfortable but: why is the use of kdesu insecure??
> I personally don't like setuid root (no special reason). I prefer the
> use of sudo instead because it allows a more fine-grained permissions
> control.

Ouch, no I didn't said that the use of kdesu is insecure, but it is insecure
to run a process with root privileges that only needs this privileges for a
small, temporary part.  It is better to isolate the root privileges to a
small process that has a short lifetime and that you can control better.

I don't know the exact policies of identity switching but the best way to do
something  is to have clear constraints.