List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: what is the point of KAction::setDefaultShortcut() ?
From:       Hamish Rodda <rodda () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-05-02 13:18:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 01 May 2006 16:37, Jason Harris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In converting to the new KAction (which no longer allows for shortcuts in
> the ctor), I tried using  'action->setDefaultShortcut("Ctrl+X")', but none
> of the shortcuts worked.  On a whim, I tried "setShortcut" instead of
> "setDefaultShortcut", and now it works.
>
> I understand that there are two types of shortcuts in KAction: Custom and
> Default (and there are "Global" variants of both of these).  I had assumed
> that in the absence of a Custom shortcut, the Default would be used, but
> apparently this is not right.  So what is the default for?

Default is so that it is simple to offer "revert to default" in the shortcut
configure dialog.  I reworked this recently so that setShortcut sets _both_
the default and the custom value (prior to checking if there is a custom
shortcut in the config file), so that's what you'll generally want to use.

Cheers,
Hamish.