List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Debugging multiprecoss/multithreading library based application
From:       Dirk Stoecker <kde () dstoecker ! de>
Date:       2006-04-25 14:29:05

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Frans Englich wrote:

> > Using "ulimit -c xxxx" to create a core file fails due to KDE crash
> > manager.
>
> All KDE applications have the switch --nocrashhandler. Perhaps it's useful.

Ah, very helpful. Good to know.

> > The error is based on the fact, that ~Client (this=0x83b86d0) seems to get
> > called, althought no constructor has ever been called. Thought I don't
> > think libfam really calls a function, which is Kopete-private. Thus the
> > stack-trace does not 100% show the program flow. I would like to get
> > throught kopete debugging without compiling all my libraries in DEBUG mode.
>
> If you're developing, I can really recommend compiling with full debug info.
> It's surely worth the effort.

Well, KDE is more a hobby. And I will not replace my whole system for KDE
development. So I do debugging in a limited environment, develop a fix,
add it to SVN and afterward wait for the next release, so the fix applies
to my system :-)

> Sometimes when I have strange bugs/crashes and gdb gives confusing messages, I
> use valgrind, since it can be quite good at telling what's going on.

The problem with valgrind was, that it ended when the crash came. But
maybe --nocrashhandler helps here too.

My basic problem with valgrind and KDE tools is, that there is much too
much leaking memory at the end of a program run. Some of it coming from
the X-libraries, others from other places. It is really hard to track down
memory loss, when there is so much loss (probably caching based) in the
base libraries.

Ciao
--
http://www.dstoecker.de/ (PGP key available)