List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Usage of QComboBox::insertItem() in Qt4
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2006-04-19 16:28:03

On 19.04.06 19:46:00, Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> I have some difficulties with true understanding of how Qt4's
> QComboBox::insertItem works, so I'm here with the Question :).

First I'd like to point you to the qt-interest list at trolltech.com,
this is probably better suited for general-qt-related problems. Also
some TT-folks tend to read that list and you might get help "from the
source".

> void QComboBox::insertItem ( int index, const QString & text, ... )
> Inserts the text and userData into the combobox at the given index.
>
> What I miss in docs is that it isn't explained how it'll behave if
> there is no 'given index' in the combobox.
> What happens if I call insertItem(10, "hi, QComboBox!") on empty
> QComboBox?
> Will it insert 9 empty items?
> Will it resize at all?
> Will it assert on me?
> Of course, I can test it by writing some code, but I'd rather read this
> info in docs :).

Then please report this to TT as a bug in the documenation. You are
right that this should be mentioned somewhere.

> And what's the right way to populate the combobox in a 'for' loop?
> In Qt3 that was done like this
>
> for(int i...)
>  combo->insertItem("item");
>
> Qt3's QComboBox::insertItem had "-1" as default value of 'index' - it
> appended to bottom in this case.
> It was very convinient to use, what's the reasoning behind its removal?
> I miss a-simple-append-to-buttom kind of insertItem() :).

How about QComboBox::addItem ;-)

> So now I should do
> for(int i...)
>  combo->insertItem(i, "item");
>
> Right?

No, do the addItem() or maybe even addItems() if you already have a list
of strings at hand.

> combo->insertItem( currentIndex(), "bla 3 times" );
>
> Right?

Again no: use addItem ;-)

Andreas

--
You will overcome the attacks of jealous associates.