List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde-config --libs and --cflags
From:       Ian Reinhart Geiser <geiseri () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2006-04-10 17:08:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 10 April 2006 12:58 pm, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> >I am looking into this now.   Currently we are playing with pkgconf to do
> > this, but this is pretty unreliable if you have multiple KDE's
> > installed. kde-config will provide the include directory and the lib
> > directory for the KDE install in the path, but not the cflags and such.
> >   The big problem I see right now is that I really don't want to have
> > redundant data for both.   Maybe provide a pkg-config proxy inside of
> > kde-config?
>
> I suggest this:
> - make kde-config aware of the pkgconfig installation directory
> (basically, ${libdir}/pkgconfig)
> - use pkg-config to find compile-time data
>
> So, you'd do:
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=`kde-config --expandvars --install pkgconfig` \
>   pkg-config --libs --cflags kdecore
>
> But I didn't understand how you're having problems with pkg-config and
> multiple KDE installations. Can you elaborate?
Basicly I am using QMake here.  I have KDE4 and KDE3 installed.   I would like
to have a .pri file that I can include and then be able to build 3rd party
KDE applications.  I actually think your suggestion to make kde-config aware
of pkg-config installations would be the best fix.  This will become more
important as KDE 4 becomes released because developers may wish to develop
against the released KDE 4 and a svn snapshot.   With kde-config knowing
Since on the off chance you want to develop against older versions of KDE (a
MUST for 3rd party development) you will  where the pc files reside, it would
be trivial to switch between the two.

The only reason I would think a proxy for pc would be marginally better would
be simplicity for the user (since pc support in autocrap afaik needs help
when you want to do nonstandard things).  I am pretty sure though the cost
for the gain is not worth it.

Cheers
 -ian reinhart geiser