List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KHTML
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-30 8:00:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Bob Rossi wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 09:09:24PM +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> Bob Rossi wrote:
>> >Is this portable to linux/solaris/aix/hp? I'm assumming that it is
>> > not, but just want to know.
>>
>> KDE runs on all of those platforms, so KHTML works on them too.
>
>So, I really need to know, is it OK to embed KHTML in a proprietary
>application? Qt is not an issue, is KDE? or is this answer not black and
>white?

First of all, let me make this clear: I am not a lawyer. Only your legal
counsel can give you a satisfactory answer.

KHTML is LGPL, which is supposed to be Ok for proprietary applications.
However, you must familiarise yourself with the license, because it's not
equivalent to public domain.

KHTML, in its core, is independent from Qt -- this is how Apple is using
it in WebKit. KDE constructs a thin wrapper around it and adds
functionality using Qt. KDE then adds another wrapper around it called
KHTMLPart, which integrates with its KParts system -- this is how
Konqueror uses it.

KHTMLPart and the KDE Qt-using code are LGPL. However, Qt itself is not:
it's licensed GPL, QPL and, if you buy a commercial license, that
commercial license too.

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway