List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KHTML
From:       Ivor Hewitt <ivor () ivor ! org>
Date:       2006-03-29 19:50:05

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 20:39, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 March 2006 21:17, Ivor Hewitt wrote:
> > On Wednesday 29 March 2006 19:56, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> >
> > Safari may be proprietary, but WebCore its html engine is opensource as
> > required.
>
> I took Safari as an example to show that at least one other software vendor
> does use KHTML in a proprietary application.
>
> Of course KHTML's openess remains protected by its licence but given the
> assumption that Apple's legal department had a close look at it, it doesn't
> seem to be something to be avoided by closed source software developers as
> long as they understand the licence's implication just like with any other
> one.

Ok just to me your reply implied that is was ok to take the code and include
it inside a propriatary application... in fact as the original question
stated:-

"OK to embed this engine in a 3rd party proprietary application."

Linking against a library under the LGPL is different to taking the code and
embedding it inside a proprietary application.

As as you are aware, Apple makes the source to their updated copy of khtml
available as WebCore.

Bob, you can find licensing information for KDE here:
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/books/kde-2.0-development/ch19lev1sec2.html

But obviously you should take legal advice yourself.

Cheers,

--
Ivor Hewitt.