List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: GCC 3.3 -> 3.4: konstruct fails
From:       Michael Pyne <michael.pyne () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2006-02-28 21:22:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 27 February 2006 15:59, Stefan Winter wrote:
> Yes it did. ;-)
> The -e flag tells emerge: imagine there was *nothing* installed on the
> system, so regenerate everything from scratch. It really did recompile
> everything. 359 packages, amongst which OOo 2.0.1. *That* was fun watching.

Yup, you're right, as pointed out by Rohan as well.  Those flags, they so
sneaky. :)

> > Also any stray .la files that refer to gcc 3.3 or C++ libraries built
> > using gcc 3.3 need to be updated.  I believe Gentoo has a
> > fix_libtool_files.sh command to do that automatically.
>
> Okay, worth a try.
>
> > Did you try with a fresh, empty build directory?
>
> I did, to no effect. What did come to my mind though was to actually reboot
> the machine (subsequently realizing that I should also have rebuilt my
> custom *kernel*, and doing that afterwards) so that any libs held in memory
> would be loaded freshly. And I cleaned the *install* prefix later as well,
> so that the old build doesn't leave any traces behind. Then I just the
> fix_libtool...whatever script from gentoo.
>
> After doing all that, the original error is gone and I came through to
> kdemultimedia, subdir "juk" (which is a homoglyph of what I thought when I
> saw it still doesn't work) - quite far. I did a fresh konstruct of course -
> no remains of the old compilation. The new error is
>
> Now this looks very specific for something where the linker is instructed
> to look for exactly the lib of gcc-3.3.6 - ignoring that it doesn't exist
> any more.

> Again, some hints would be very nice. I'm still stuck with kde 3.4 writing
> this mail. :-(

You see, juk is exactly why I was familiar with this problem. :)

When I had upgraded, I had forgot to update some of the C++ libraries with the
new compiler (I did not know about emerge -e and probably would not have used
it anyways).

JuK uses quite a few C++ libraries.  You may need to re-emerge the following:

taglib
akode
flac
tunepimp
musicbrainz

Judging by your command line they should either be already re-compiled or
un-used, but that's what was the problem during my big upgrade.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne