List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: dcop kded kwalletd problem
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-01-23 12:58:00

On Friday 20 January 2006 05:30, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to write a shell which gets a password from kwallet,
> using KDE 3.5 from debian unstable.
>
> This returns an empty line even if a password exists
> for http-mm, the return code is 0:
>
> dcop kded kwalletd open kdewallet 0
> 1079791280
> dcop kded kwalletd readPassword 1079791280 Passwords http-mm
>
> I also tried to write a new entry with
>
> wr:~$ dcop kded kwalletd writeEntry 1079791280 Passwords test name password
> 3 cannot handle datatype 'QByteArray'
>
> How can I handle a QByteArray from a shell script?
>
> Where can I find a definition of the different entry types? I guessed it
> should be 3 by looking at existing entries.
>
> Do I have to write a C++ program for adding and retrieving passwords?
> If so, could you recommend a sample program?

   dcop(1) doesn't support reading QByteArrays, and those are used for
anything that is a "map".  They're not just simple passwords - they have
multiple fields.  If you want to do something more complex than just read a
plain password entry, you'll need to use a better scripting language like
Perl or Python at least.  I believe they have DCOP bindings.  The API
documentation for KWallet should be available on the KDE developer website.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/