List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Debian, KDE and the GFDL problem
From:       Isaac Clerencia <isaac () warp ! es>
Date:       2006-01-07 13:26:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday, 7 January 2006 11:31, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Thursday 05 January 2006 19:47 pm, Isaac Clerencia wrote:
> > 2) Convince manual authors to a) relicense their works under the GPL, or
> >    b) double-license them under both the GFDL and GPL.
>
> You may not relicense or double-license any of the documentation I have
> contributed to.
Sorry to hear that :(

> There are no invariant sections in my stuff, and I think that makes it a
> free license.
Well, if you take the GFDL *literally* (and I guess that's how a lawyer will
take it), nobody can put that stuff in a DRM-protected hard-disk, in a
encrypted file-system, or in a 700-permission directory.

> You are more than welcome not to
> provide my documentation (or put it into non-free, whatever).
Sure, and that means boring work for me and less documentation for users :(

> I haven't written much documentation, so this may not affect your broader
> approach.
Well, every bit is important and having thousands of documents with different
license policies from each contributor sounds like a nightmare.

We have tried for years to have the FSF fixing these issues in the GFDL (and
we're still working on that), because we knew trying to get any big project
to change the documentation license was going to be hard (mainly because
"missing in action" documentation writers).

Best regards

--
Isaac Clerencia at Warp Networks, http://www.warp.es
Work: <isaac@warp.es>   | Debian: <isaac@debian.org>