List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Debian, KDE and the GFDL problem
From:       Michael Pyne <michael.pyne () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2006-01-07 9:43:33

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 05 January 2006 03:47, Isaac Clerencia wrote:
> 1) Edit KDE tarballs for every version of every module including a
>    GFDL'ed manual and repackage them without them.
>
>    This would be a great amount of work, and would leave Debian without a
>    single user manual for our users to read up in Yelp. I guess we could
>    get rid of khelpcenter too. :)
>
> 2) Convince manual authors to a) relicense their works under the GPL, or
>    b) double-license them under both the GFDL and GPL.
>
> I personally vouch for 2b) as it gives more choice to people, and doesn't
> change the current licensing situation too radically. Also, for reasons
> explained in the previously mentioned documents, having different
> licences for a program and its documentation is a bad idea, and dual
> licensing takes care of that too.

I'd be willing to relicense my contributions, but it would perhaps be best to
send this e-mail first to the KDE Documentation team mailing list
( kde-doc-english@kde.org ).  Many of the docs in KDE have been authored by a
small dedicated team of people (if it wasn't authored by the application
author).  Even when the app author makes the documentation, it is typically
touched up by the doc team.  So that would be a fast way to get many of the
copyright holders signed off.

But, I'd also like to know what the documentation team thinks.  I assume there
is a reason we are using the GFDL.  The doc team would know if the GFDL is
*required* (i.e. for the don't-touch sections) or just what everyone thought
would be best to use.  Pending objections brought up by the doc team I don't
mind dual licensing my documentation.  But that would only cover part of JuK
(in kdemultimedia) and part of kdesvn-build (in kdesdk).

> (in fact this mail is a
> filtered version of the one sent to the GNOME list [4].

Ah, so that explains what Yelp is.  I wasn't aware that Yelp was GNOME's
equivalent to khelpcenter until reading the mail sent to GNOME's
desktop-devel ;)

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne