List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: python bindings
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-12-28 9:46:03

On 28.12.05 05:48:34, Marcos Dione wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 08:09:55PM +0100, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 27.12.05 14:19:40, Marcos Dione wrote:
> > >     hi all. first of all, apologies if this isn't the right mailing list, but I
> > > counldn't find a more suitable in http://www.kde.org/mailinglists/.
> >
> > I don't know if the python bindings in kdebindings are the same, but
> > most people use pyKDE for accessing KDE from python. See
> > www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pykde, it also mentions the correct list.
>
>     I see, so what's on the svn module?

As you already found, it's the same (only older maybe).

> > >     the situation is the following: I have ubuntu's python2.4 installed in /usr,
> > > but svn kde in ~/local (in my homedir) and also would like to have the python
> > > bindings there. but make install tries to install them in /usr, where I have no
> > > permissions.
> >
> > That has nothing to do with KDE, but is a python limitation. python
> > needs the shared libs somewhere in the python path, which normally is
> > /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages (or a subdir of that). The easiest way
> > is probably to install python yourself into your home, it's not hard.
>
>     well, the system already has python2.4 and the dev packages, but I can't
> install there. also, my ~/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages is in my PYTHONPATH
> envvar.

Ok, so does a python configure.py -h help you? I see a number of
switches related to install locations in particular at least one (-d)
that points to python/site-packages.

> > > I think there should
> > > be a cleaner solution.
> >
> > There is, install python somewhere where you have write permissions.
>
>     IMHO, this is not a `clean solution´.

Even though it's pretty much OT here: Why not?

You get a clean Python where you have write permissions and a clean PyQt
too. I do this all the time with any software compiled by myself.

BTW: PyQt did compile with your Python2.4? That's strange, it didn't
here...

Andreas

--
In the stairway of life, you'd best take the elevator.