List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Alternative to traditional (virtual) desktop: The Strip
From:       Ingo Krabbe <ikrabbe.ask () web ! de>
Date:       2005-12-12 8:23:16

Am Montag, 5. Dezember 2005 19:46 schrieb Lubos Lunak:
> On Monday 05 December 2005 11:34, Janne Ojaniemi wrote:
> > On Monday 05 December 2005 12:23, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > > So this would be like an X setup with a greater virtual than physical
> > > width but with kicker moving along instead of being expanded?
> >
> > Sort of, yes.
>
>  Well, for a start you could try to configure your X this way, or use FVWM
> or other WM that implements this, maybe you'll change your mind after
> seeing it in practice (I remember that in the old days when my X sometimes
> ended up configured like this I found this feature completely unusable).
>
>  If you get past that stage, this feature is usually called a viewport
> (http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-1.3.html). Both KWin and
> the NET classes in kdecore have relevant support for it. Except for the
> actual functionality of course, the viewport is now always equal to the
> full screen size in the code now.

I have to agree to you Lubos and just want contribute a bit later to this
thread by fully acknowledging the fact, that this so called "feature" was and
will ever be unuseable,  if not used to impressed friends, that only know
this feature less OS from Redmond.  If you want to learn to work with
different virtual desktops, you will be completely happy once you configured
some keyboard accelerators to your desktops to switch them fast (Use your
preferred settings or learn the system defaults if you are new to this
feature.)

I also made the experience that naming the desktops with thematical names will
help you in using the desktops for special purposes.  Just as an Example I
have my Desktops named: Contacts, Media, Development, Playground  and I'm
completely happy with it.  It won't be only me, who gets confused when the
coffee mug pushed the mouse over the desk and my whole desktop slips away
from its current view.

On the other hand I must admit that a moving desktop really looks cool.