List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Alternative to traditional (virtual) desktop: The Strip
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2005-12-12 7:17:44

On Monday 12 December 2005 05:28, David Johnson wrote:

> I must somewhat agree with lordSauron. The average person on the street
> is NOT good at this.

Er, that a coder sucks at doing something doesn't mean that the user is good
at it.

> The coder may not be a professional UI designer or trained usability
> expert, but neither is the user.

Who said otherwise ? My point is precisely that a coder is generally not a UI
designer nor a trained usability expert. The problem is that many coders
think they are, and its very hard to make a good UI without both being
trained on the matter, and also having the means to make usability tests
(i.e. sitting a user in front of the software, asking him to perform some
tasks and recording his moves).

> Go peruse the "enhancements" section
> at kde-look. There's a lot of calls for new items in context menus, new
> buttons on the desktop, new panels, new this and new that. Putting the
> user in charge of the interface will only guarantee UI feature creep.

People who make such enhancement requests are not everyday users, they are
geeks too. Everyday users don't even know how to make such requests.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.telegraph-road.org