List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Alternative to traditional (virtual) desktop: The Strip
From:       David Boddie <david () boddie ! org ! uk>
Date:       2005-12-11 2:54:42

On 2005-12-05 18:46:24, Lubos Lunak wrote:

> If you get past that stage, this feature is usually called a viewport
> (http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-1.3.html). Both KWin and
> the NET classes in kdecore have relevant support for it. Except for the
> actual functionality of course, the viewport is now always equal to the
> full screen size in the code now.

I'm remember patching kdecore and KWin to get around this limitation while
working on a project for a previous employer. The idea was to stimulate
discussion about user interfaces for navigating extended desktops. The pages
describing it are still partially available via the Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030908171757/www.sleepydog.net/Resources/KDE/WIM/index.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20030908172010/http://www.sleepydog.net/Resources/KDE/Panoramic/index.html

I updated the code to work with KDE 3.3, but I didn't manage to get it
working flawlessly, and I've since gone back to the default one screen per
desktop virtual desktop system - patching and building KDE after each release
was getting to be too much work.

David