List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE3 and Qt4
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-12-07 18:53:45

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Kevin Krammer wrote:
>> KDE3 apps from a KDE4 desktop would be nice (especially for apps that
>> don't get ported). Would the opposite be true also? Running a KDE4 app
>> from a KDE3 desktop? Some companies, government entities and schools
>> might take quite a while to upgrade their systems to KDE4, but we'd
>> still like them to be able to use what we develop on KDE4.

That's a worthy goal I'd like to see happen. KDE3 applications running in
KDE4 is probably a must-have, given the number of extragear and
third-party applications.

Unlike the KDE2 -> KDE3 times, we now have very popular apps in extragear,
like k3b and amarok.

What is a nice-to-have objective but possibly not easy is running KDE4 in
a KDE3 environment.

>I'd say yes, it would be no different than running said KDE4 application
> on any other non-KDE4 desktop.

In fact, it is also directly tied to the level of interaction between apps
I mentioned before.

We all know that launching a KDE application in a non-KDE environment
launches the DCOP server, klauncher and ioslaves, maybe more stuff,
depending on the app. So, is a KDEx application supposed to talk to the
services of the KDEy environment, where x != y?

Unfortunately, it looks like we won't have the manpower to integrate the
environments, so KDE3 applications won't reach the KDE4 environment and
vice-versa. On the plus side, the scenario you mention seems likely, but
on the negative side, you'll see klauncher3 and klauncher4 running
concurrently...

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

2. Tó cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wearð se cægbord and se
leohtspeccabord, and þa mýs cómon lator. On þone dæg, he hine reste.