List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: C++ exceptions
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-12-07 18:44:45

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Volker Lukas wrote:
>Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> [...]
>> So you can expect people to compile it with -fno-exceptions. If you
>> write applications that rely on exceptions being enabled in Qt, you'll
>> be shooting yourself in the foot. Don't do that.
>
>No. The user who disables it is a fault here. Exception support is
> needed for *correct* programs to be executed *correctly*. If the user
> willfully asks the compiler to produce incorrect output, he has to live
> with the outcome. He can not just assume that nobody uses exceptions in
> conjunction with Qt.

Hmm... I think you misunderstood again: I'm not talking about users
setting -fno-exceptions on applications that do use exceptions. I'm
talking about Qt being compiled with that flag. Applications can and will
continue to use exceptions if so needed --- including KDE applications
and certain libraries.

Disabling exceptions in Qt does not affect exceptions in other segments of
code. As long as you don't propagate exceptions to the Qt libraries.

Of course setting -fno-exceptions on code that expects exceptions to work
is asking for trouble. The code will most likely fail to compile. At the
very least, it won't run correctly.

The point is that Qt doesn't require exceptions to work and the configure
script explicitly tells the users that they can safely turn exceptions
off.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

2. Tó cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wearð se cægbord and se
leohtspeccabord, and þa mýs cómon lator. On þone dæg, he hine reste.