List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kdevdevelop editor
From:       Jens Dagerbo <jens.dagerbo () swipnet ! se>
Date:       2005-11-03 23:21:50

On Thursday 03 November 2005 15:58, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 04.11.05 00:29:19, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> > On Thursday 03 November 2005 23:26, Bram Biesbrouck wrote:
> > > I'm new to the list, so let me introduce myself. My name is Bram
> > > Biesbrouck, I'm from Belgium and currently, I'm developing a screen
> > > recording program for KDE using the rfb protocol.
> > > My project is about halfway. The library is coming on very well, and I
> > > wrote the GUI-basics. I'm having a problem that is listed a few times
> > > before, but after two days of intensive searching and reading, I
> > > couldn't find a solution.
> > > When I design a GUI in KDevDesigner, and I try to generate the ui.h
> > > file, I get the "editor couldn't be loaded" error. My qt-library is not
> > > build statically, so that's not the problem. I do have libcppeditor
> > > installed and the plugin path is set up correctly.
> > > I'm using SuSe 9.3 and KDE 3.4.3 Level "b". Please help, this is my
> > > last resort.
> >
> > Hmm, not 100% sure I know what you're asking, but a couple of points:
> >
> > 1) a better list for this is probably kdevelop@kdevelop.org
> > 2) even better, join us in irc at #kdevelop on irc.kde.org
> >
> > header files are generated from .ui files by Qt's "uic", which should be
> > invoked by your build system if it knows about the .ui file.  I'm not
> > 100% familiar with KDevDesigner, but it sounds like it's trying to load
> > the text editor.  Try opening the .ui file in KDevelop and seeing if you
> > get the same error message.
>
> You're partly wrong. The QT3 Designer (and therefor als kdevdesigner)
> allows is to implement the slots in a file calles blah.ui.h, which gets
> included from the generated blah.ui.cpp. This way it's possible to have
> a ui+ui.h with all the code needed for a widget and thus no subclassing
> is necessary. So it seems that kdevdesigner really has the problem of
>
> Andreas
>
> PS: @Bram you can always use subclassing to provide the slot
> implementation. This gives you more freedom in implementing the logic of
> the widget and it's the way to go for new QT4 anyway.

The KDevDesigner is an experimental fork of Qt Designer, mainly meant for
embedding in KDevelop. It has a few hooks that can automate the creation of
slots using the traditional subclassing approach. It does not support editing
of source code. Embedded in KDevelop it of course uses the KDevelop editor,
but standalone, it does not.

Off the top of my head I can see almost no benefit to running KDevDesigner
standalone instead of Qt Designer. (You can test run forms with KDE widgets
referencing "kapp", but that's it, I think.)

// jens ( aka teatime )