List:       kde-devel
Subject:    svn2dist and i18n?
From:       Stefan Kombrink <katakombi () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-10-24 19:43:59

Hi folks,

 I'd like to do a release of my application with translations included.
When I ran the svn2dist script, I used the following options:

svn2dist --i18n-module kdereview -v 0.2.3 -l -m -b
-g /home/kombrisn/Project/kdereview/ ksynaptics

Now it should try to download the i18n from svn but it fails.
The log shows why that is:

-------------------

svn2dist log on Mo Okt 24 21:31:46 CEST 2005
Module: /home/kombrisn/Project/kdereview; Directory: ksynaptics; Name:
ksynaptics; Version 0.2.3.
--i18n-module kdereview -v 0.2.3 -l -m -b -g /home/kombrisn/Project/kdereview/
ksynaptics
--------
No svn root specified, and --no-i18n option is not given..
Using anonymous svn..
Temporary directory is /home/kombrisn/Project/kdereview/svn2dist-tmp.
cp
-R /home/kombrisn/Project/kdereview/ksynaptics \
/home/kombrisn/Project/kdereview/svn2dist-tmp/ksynaptics-0.2.3/ksynaptics Getting \
i18n subdirs available languages:  af ar az be bg bn br bs ca cs cy da de el en_GB eo \
es et  eu fa fi fo fr fy ga gl he hi hr hsb hu id is it ja ka km ko ku ky lo lt lv
mi mk mn ms mt nb nds nl nn nso oc pa pl pt pt_BR ro ru rw se sk sl sr
sr@Latn sq ss sv ta tg th tr tt uk uz ven vi wa xh zh_CN zh_TW zu
Getting l10n/af/messages/kdereview/ksynaptics.po
af's ksynaptics.po does not exist.
Getting l10n/ar/messages/kdereview/ksynaptics.po
ar's ksynaptics.po does not exist.
Getting l10n/az/messages/kdereview/ksynaptics.po
az's ksynaptics.po does not exist.
Getting l10n/be/messages/kdereview/ksynaptics.po
be's ksynaptics.po does not exist.
..... and so on...
--------------------------

In fact, there are a lot of translations, but all the files are called
"kcmksynaptics.po".
I found no option to pass a distinct file name for .po files so I tweaked the
script and got the kcmksynaptics.po downloaded and installed.
Unfortunately when running the application the translations don't take effect
anyway.

Here are my questions:

*why did the translators choose a file name that differs from my application's
name which could be found automatically by the svn2dist script?
*what is the proper way to get the translations included into my distribution?
*is there an easy way to test translations?

Thank you very much, this is a very important question for me :)

  greetings,
 Stefan >8^)