List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KFile plugins
From:       Egon Willighagen <e.willighagen () science ! ru ! nl>
Date:       2005-10-16 9:13:09

On Sunday 16 October 2005 00:49, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> By the way, currently, all my mime types rely on the extension to recognize
> the file content. This is not satisfactory, since, for example,
> many z-machine games have a ".dat" extension, which is too generic to be
> useful. So I would prefer using the magic file, but my experiments in that
> direction do not seem to work. Do I have to specify anything particular in
> the mimetype.desktop file to trigger file examination?

Does KDE use this mechanism at all?

> The file command already has the rules needed to identify the files, and I
> tried adapting them to the `kde-config --prefix`/share/mimelnk/magic
> syntax, but that does not seem to work on its own.

Can you elaborate a bit? I don't quite understand how you wanted to glue it
together and with what goal...

> [lots of interesting stuff deleted]
>
> > Kat, which is told to be the working implementation of Tenor, or at least
> > heads that way, *indeed* uses kfile plugins to extract meta info.
>
> Interesting. So these plugins will get much more use in the future.
> While writing one of the plugin I was a bit concerned with the fact that it
> should not do too much. For stuff like the file tip, you do not want to
> scan a multimegabyte file... but if it is used in a low priority batch, it
> could extract more informations.

I totally agree there... Somewhere else in this thread someone proposed to put
all file type related extraction in one plugin, but I agree that meta data
extraction should be rather light weight...

The chemistry kfile plugins I did only parse the first 25-ish lines or so,
though there is one that reads the whole file too, which can be rather time
consuming for larger files...

Egon

--
e.willighagen@science.ru.nl
PhD student on Molecular Representation in Chemometrics