List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QA @ KDE
From:       Adriaan de Groot <groot () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-10-13 7:41:05

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 04:44, Bojan wrote:
> Obviously the main part of QA is the bugzilla, and I think can talk a
> lot about that. I found lots of useful info at quality.kde.org and the
> wiki.

Useful stuff on the wiki that is 'done' might be imported to
developer.kde.org, so if you spot something, let us know. I don't know if I'd
consider bugzilla to be the main part of QA -- assurance happens
(theoretically) before the code goes out.

> under way.  Now 3.5 is in feature freeze.   What exactly does that
> mean? How and who decides when this happens? Is there some sort of
> standard cycle/process/timeline that happens for each release.  The

Thiago explained that very well.

> I am also planning to talk about some other things related to QA and
> testing @ KDE.  For example I can mention the scripts KOffice guys use
> to check code and things.  I think it's neat.  Then there is Valgrind,
> and that is something really cool.  Anyone got any other specific
> ideas I can talk about, that I am not aware of maybe?

As Phil points out, there's the EnglishBreakfastNetwork, and unofficial bunch
of servers that do various code checks. Right now it's just simple stuff, but
we're looking towards adding build farm capabilities and automatic
tinderboxing, as well as introducing some measure of C++ code verification.
Not to mention expanding the code quality checks that run there now -- what's
there is just simple awk/grep type stuff.

The QtTestLib stuff in KDE4 _is_ really interesting, and if it somehow,
magically, becomes policy to require extensive test cases for code in
kdelibs, then the EBN will run them too.

> a CS department.  But I guess it is eastern Canada, and also our
> default DE is Gnome in our Linux labs.  So maybe I'll be able to put
> out there some awareness there about KDE.

I wonder what the default desktop in NFLD is. There's surely (geek) comic gold
to be had there.

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot