List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE, FAM and Gamin
From:       Niels <zorglub_olsen () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2005-10-12 21:56:48

Further development of the theory [*]

I've determined that Inotify works -- there's a utility to test it

I've not been able to test Gamin. There's a description of how to do that on
the Gamin website, but it's not up to date and doesn't work with the
current version. As far as I can tell.

When I start Konqueror from a konsole, this appears:

konqtree: 0x8fbd2d0 KonqSidebarDirTreeModule::addSubDir file:///home/niels
konqtree: 0x8fbd2d0 openSubFolder( file:///home/niels )
kio (KDirLister): +KDirLister
kio (KDirListerCache): +KDirListerCache
FAMOpen()
Error getting GAM_CLIENT_ID
Connected to socket /tmp/fam-niels- : 15
Wrote credential bytes to socket 15
Activating thread safety
kio (KDirWatch): Available methods: Stat, FAM, DNotify
kio (KDirLister): [virtual bool KDirLister::openURL(const KURL&, bool,
bool)] file:///home/niels keep=true reload=false
kio (KDirListerCache): [void KDirListerCache::listDir(KDirLister*, const
KURL&, bool, bool)] 0x8fbd6e0 url=file:///home/niels keep=true reload=false
kio (KDirListerCache): listDir: Entry not in cache or reloaded:
file:///home/niels
kio (KDirWatch): Added Dir /home/niels [KDirWatch-1]
FAMPending(fd = 15)
Checking data available on 15
FAMMonitorDirectory(/home/niels)
Wrote 21 bytes to socket 15
gamin_send_request 1 for socket 15
kio (KDirWatch):  Setup FAM (Req 1) for /home/niels
FAMPending(fd = 15)
Checking data available on 15

To my untrained eyes it looks like Konqueror discovers FAM (which is
actually Gamin on this system), and tries to use it. But there's some kind
of error from Gamin: Error getting GAM_CLIENT_ID. However, after that it
looks like some things are happening after all -- maybe it's an inter-prog
communication problem?

Konqueror has _no_ FAM capabilities after this. It doesn't discover new
files automatically.

So my question remains: Should this work in KDE? Is this solely a Gamin
problem?

//Niels

[*] that's always the name of the last chapter in math books...