List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Shortest route for a KDE devel wannabee?
From:       "Fred van Zwieten" <kde-devel () dezwietjes ! nl>
Date:       2005-10-12 12:29:45

Hi all,

I like to develop for KDE as a hobby. I'm pretty new to qt and the kde-libs and
reasonably comfortable with C++. KDE will be ported to qt4 in the coming year. What
would be the best approach will the future in mind:

1. Learn with qt3/kde3.x/kdevelop combi and port to qt4/kde4 later
- pro: lost of training resources available (tutorials, books, etc)
- con: must port apps to qt4/kde4, have to learn qt3 and (diffs in) qt4, kde-lib
diffs, etc

2. Develop qt4 apps and port to kde4 when available
- pro: skip qt3 to qt4 learning curve
- pro: apps will also run on Windows
- con: kdevelop support for qt4 is very new
- con: not very much training resources available (Trolltech docu only)
- con: must port to kde4 when available

What do you guys think is the best approach?

Thanks,

Fred