List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Universal Desktop Database
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-09-30 9:46:20

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 30 September 2005 01:58, Daniel Stiefelmaier wrote:

> I did not really get (relevant) results when i searched for IM proxy.

KIMProxy is a class of the KDE API (since 3.3) which allows to talk to IM
applications that implement the KIMIface DCOP interface.
(From memory that are Kopete, Konversation and Licq)

For example Konqueror (filemanager) uses this in its Copy-To extension which
lists all contacts available for file transfer and initiates one on
activating the respective menu item.

You can explore the interface by using KDCOP or the commandline tool dcop.
#> dcop applicationId KIMIface
for a list of methods (or kde:KIMIface for its API documentation)

> And it does not fully cover my original approach.
> One goal was system independence. well, don't get me wrong, i guess i'll
> stay with KDE in the future. But i thought it would be an advancement to
> have one standardized addressbook, not for KDE only but for all who want
> to participate. Only one system had to be implemented and maintained.
> And users would not have to convert. Converting address books is a pain.
> you may lose entries and some uncommon fields (just like IM IDs)

True, but unfortunately nobody else has such a central addressbook framework
yet with which KDE could cooperate. All the other applications seem to
provide their own backends, e.g. Thunderbird has probably a backend shared by
Mozilla apps. Not sure the GNOME API provides anything like that, very likely
they rely on Evolution.

KDE applications have an advantage here, they already share the addressbook
through the KABC framework and independent where it is located, i.e. if it is
local or on an LDAP server, etc.

> LDAP (directly) has the same drawbacks: It is not supported by all of
> the applications.

I haven't checked any of the mentioned applications which provide their own
addressbooks, but I think if an application is serious about using
addressess, e.g. being a full featured email application, it is very likely
it supports an LDAP backend.

However I agree that  user-local shared addressbook would be nice to have even
when non-KDE applications are involved, but I am quite confident that if
somebody creates a prototype for that, somebody else will try to create a KDE
address resource to access it.

Until then the already shared KDE addressbook is the best we have.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at>