List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Strange goings on with Juk (FC3, KDE Branch 3.5)
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <lists () afolkey2 ! net>
Date:       2005-09-30 2:31:12

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:00:34 -0400
Michael Pyne <pynm0001@unf.edu> wrote:

> On Thursday 29 September 2005 00:42, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> > Stranger still, when I would run "/usr/bin/juk" from a command
> > line, the version that came up was 2.3!  That is the branch 3.5
> > version, which is installed at "/usr/local/kde-svn/bin/juk"
> > "/usr/bin/juk" is the latest stable Juk, NOT the branch 3.5
> > version.  So it seems kind of odd that when Juk finally started
> > working for me (don't know why, it just started working) I would
> > consistently get the wrong version of Juk.
>
> That's very odd.  It sounds as if somehow /usr/bin/juk actually *is*
> 2.3, and the one in /usr/local is 2.2.1 somehow.  Can you compare the
> dates on the files to see which is newer?

The one that I would expect to be the older seems to actually be the
older of the two:
[steve@afolkey2 ~]$ ls -l /usr/bin/juk
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 1065988 Jul 22 15:28 /usr/bin/juk
[steve@afolkey2 ~]$ ls -l /usr/local/kde-svn/bin/juk
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 13146967 Sep 28 23:13 /usr/local/kde-svn/bin/juk

> > I think that the commands that I use in my "~/.bash_profile" to set
> > my Branch 3.5 KDE install to be the one I log in to could be of
> > help to you:
> >      21 QTDIR=/usr/local/qt-src
> >      22 PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
> >      23 MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
> >      24 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> >      25 export QTDIR PATH MANPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> >      26
> >      27 KDEDIR=/usr/local/kde-svn
> >      28 PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
> >      29 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> >      30 LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> >      31 export KDEDIR PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH LIBRARY_PATH
>
> You may also want to export KDEDIRS=/usr/local/kde-svn to make sure
> that any such setting from /etc/profile is cleared out as well.
> KDEDIRS is actually the preferred form as well.

Done.  Can I assume that it is OK to leave it as KDEDIR in
"/etc/profile.d/kde.sh"?

> > This has always worked before.  Also, Juk is the only application
> > that I have found so far that is acting like this.
>
> JuK has rather eccentric library dependencies as well, and is usually
> the "canary" that indicates a library flaw where other programs seem
> to operate. For instance, upgrading arts or juk to version that pulls
> in a different libstdc++ but forgetting to also upgrade musicbrainz
> or libtunepimp will often cause problems that affect only JuK.
>
> If you happen to have GStreamer support installed into JuK you may
> want to try using its output instead of aRts and see if that fixes
> the crashes.  You'll have to manually edit
> $KDEHOME/share/config/jukrc.  In the [Settings] group, set the option
> MediaSystem=1 (1 is for gstreamer).  If the option isn't already
> there, go ahead and add it.  Save the file and then try running JuK
> again to see if it still crashes.
> If you (or your packager) didn't compile gstreamer support into JuK
> then that won't work though.  :-(

Since my packager and I are one :), I just added "--with-gstreamer" to
the script that I use to compile the KDE SVN modules.
I changed MediaSystem=0 to be MediaSystem=1.  Now the correct version
of Juk starts.  Also, sound still works perfectly :)  Thank you very
much :)

But, as far as what I said in my original email about Juk 2.2.1 saying
that it was using KDE 3.4.91, and Juk 2.3 saying that it was using KDE
3.4.2-1.2.fc3.kde, since your brilliant help has allowed me to be able
to start and run Juk 2.3 from Branch 3.5, I now have screenshot proof
of this oddity (I put them into one jpg for your convenience, other
than that, I have not retouched them :)):
http://www.afolkey2.net/AboutJuk.jpg

> Regards,
>  - Michael Pyne

Thanks for your help,
Steven P. Ulrick

P.S.: If you think it might help narrow the issue that is illustrated
in the screenshot that is linked to above, I have an idea:
I can compile and install kdemultimedia, turn around and uninstall it
immediately, re-download kdemultimedia from Branch 3.5, compile and
install it, and then see if the "Version Thing" gets sorted out.  Maybe
if I get bored, I'll just go ahead and do it :)