List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Universal Desktop Database
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-09-29 18:10:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 29 September 2005 18:17, Bram Schoenmakers wrote:
> Op donderdag 29 september 2005 17:23, schreef Daniel Stiefelmaier:
>
> Hi,
>
> > This means:
> > KDE-Addressbook and Thunderbird have their Contacts in the same database.
> > When the user adds a new contact to Kopete or Gaim, the user is asked if
> > a new entry should be generated or if the ICQ/Jabber/MSN-ID should be
> > added to an existing person.
> > KOrganizer or Sunbird/Calendar may extract birthdays from the contacts,
> > if desired and synchronize them.
> > KOffice or OpenOffice may use this address book by default for their
> > serial letter functionality.
> > Kexi, finally can be used to manage or export or do anything with the
> > data.
>
> We have IM Proxy for a while, which operates between KAddressBook, KMail,
> Kopete and Konversation (yes, only KDE apps). The infrastructure is there,
> but I think it's hard to convince non-KDE projects to let them talk with IM
> Proxy.

The difficulty is more the access to the addressbook, one can always talk to
KIMIface applications directly via DCOP.

Speaking of the addressbook: it might be possible to let Thunderbird use the
KDE addressbook, AFAIK there is such an extension for OpenOffice.org

That is in the case that LDAP can't be used like Flavio suggested.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at>