List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Strange goings on with Juk (FC3, KDE Branch 3.5)
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <lists () afolkey2 ! net>
Date:       2005-09-29 4:42:23

Hello, Everyone
I had started this thread over on the kde user list, but this is
getting really wierd, so I suspect that I should bring it here.  Some
of this will make it sound like I haven't a clue about what I'm doing,
but bear with me, I will do my best to describe things exactly as they
actually occured.

Please see the thread that I started over at the kde-user list to get
the gist of how this problem first manifested itself:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde&m=112790830202987&w=2

After all of that, with me not doing anything that I know of, I began
to be able to use both versions of Juk that I have installed.  They are
located at "/usr/bin/" and "/usr/local/kde-svn/bin/"  This is the first
odd thing: when I click one of the Juk icons on my desktop (all Juk
icons are for the version that is in the "/usr/local/kde-svn/" path.
This is the KDE that I export to in my "~/.bash_profile")  the version
that comes up is the "/usr/bin/" version, version 2.2.1.  Also, "Help |
About Juk" says that it is using 3.4.91.  I don't know for sure, but I
THINK that that might not be so odd.  But why would "/usr/bin/juk"
start up, when that is not the one that the icons point to?
Stranger still, when I would run "/usr/bin/juk" from a command line,
the version that came up was 2.3!  That is the branch 3.5 version,
which is installed at "/usr/local/kde-svn/bin/juk"  "/usr/bin/juk" is
the latest stable Juk, NOT the branch 3.5 version.  So it seems kind of
odd that when Juk finally started working for me (don't know why, it
just started working) I would consistently get the wrong version of
Juk.

To clarify before I move on to my next point:
"/usr/bin/juk" contains Juk 2.2.1
Running "/usr/bin/juk" from a terminal would start up Juk 2.3, which is
Actually located at "/usr/local/kde-svn/bin/juk"

"/usr/local/kde-svn/bin/juk" contains Juk 2.3 (the branch 3.5 version)
Running "/usr/local/kde-svn/bin/juk" from a terminal would start up Juk
2.2.1, which is Actually located at "/usr/bin/juk"

So I came home from work, installed "kdebase" which I had compiled
while I was gone.  Just in case, I did "/sbin/telinit 1" and then
"/sbin/telinit 5"  Logged back into KDE, and guess what?  The Branch
3.5 version of Juk crashes EXACTLY like it was crashing before I left
for work.  I can't remember for sure if Juk 2.3 was still working WHEN
I got home from work, but if it was, it did not last long.

I think that the commands that I use in my "~/.bash_profile" to set my
Branch 3.5 KDE install to be the one I log in to could be of help to
you:
     21 QTDIR=/usr/local/qt-src
     22 PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
     23 MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
     24 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
     25 export QTDIR PATH MANPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH
     26
     27 KDEDIR=/usr/local/kde-svn
     28 PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
     29 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
     30 LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
     31 export KDEDIR PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH LIBRARY_PATH

This has always worked before.  Also, Juk is the only application that
I have found so far that is acting like this.

If you want a backtrace, the one from my original message on this
thread is the same as the ones that have come up since Juk went back to
ceasing to work.  But, here is a link to revised output from when I
start Juk from a terminal:
http://www.afolkey2.net/juk-TerminalOutput.txt

Further, I just discovered the wonders of "kdebugdialog --fullmode"
But, I haven't been able to find the files that were produced, if any.

If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask.  And if I learn
anything else, I'll let you know.

Steven P. Ulrick