List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: A new style for KDE4?
From:       Roberto Cappuccio <roberto.cappuccio () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-09-03 7:54:32

Alle 09:31, sabato 3 settembre 2005, Florian Roth ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just wondering if we should create a new widget style for KDE4 which
> makes it look more exclusive as Plastik does. I really like the Plastik
> style but it's nothing outstanding or something you remember well, if
> you have seen it once. I mean everybody who sees MaxOS X with its
> Aqua/Brushed Metal style remembers it because of its unique style. What
> I want is that a screenshot or any presentation of a KDE4 desktop should
> be as easy to recognize as a KDE just like it is now with MacOS X.
> With this idea in mind I found the following screenshot on KDE-Look.org:
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/eriollsdesigns/various/fake-panel%20setup.jpg
> Its not as exclusive as Aqua/Brushed Metal it but it still has an unique
> look. What do you think?

I think it has personality and looks great. On the other hand I really like
the simple look of Lipstick, the standard widget style of Kubuntu.
You are right when you say that we need KDE 4 to be immediately recognizable.
When a user works on OS X and then switches to KDE (or viceversa), he
immediately knows on which system he is working.
When someone switches to and from Windows, it may become a little bit
confusing because the look, especially the one of XP, is rather similar to
the one of KDE.
This similarity has also not to be underestimated, because Windows users are
lazy by nature and their switch to KDE could be facilitated by a desktop with
a look they find familiar.
So, i think that your proposal goes in the right direction. It would be useful
to see how the actual applications look like using this style.

bye

Roberto