List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: no window borders
From:       Michael Pyne <pynm0001 () unf ! edu>
Date:       2005-09-01 22:51:03

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 01 September 2005 18:11, Edwin wrote:
> Hi,
> After having built kdelibs and kdebase (trunk), I startup as a new user
> (no .kde/ ). I get kpersonaliser asking me things. In this phase, I have a
> windowborder(and titlebar) at kpersonalizer. However when I pres finalize,
> KDE starts and after finishing I have ktip without a border. Also, every
> app I start doesn't have a border.
>
> Also, I get a black background. When I start an app and close it again, for
> 1 second the part where the app was on the window, I get to see the default
> KDE4 background image.
>
> How come ?

Because KDE 4 is quite broken right now as we are trying to port the various
libraries and applications to use Qt 4 (and use it correctly).  This isn't as
simple as just changing method names sometimes, and besides, there is a bit
of rearchitecting to do as we try to fix things that have shown their age
through the KDE 3 lifetime but couldn't be fixed.

Or in other words, expect this kind of brokenness for awhile.  I hear that if
you run kwin from konsole you'll be able to get your window borders back.
Not sure about the desktop wallpaper bug.

If you want to run a more stable development version of KDE there's the
upcoming KDE 3.5 which could use testing before we release it onto the public
at large...

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne